McGraw Hill Financial is a leader in credit ratings, benchmarks and analytics for the global capital and commodity markets. MHFI includes Standard & Poor's Ratings Services,
S&P Capital IQ, S&P Dow Jones Indices, J.D. Power, Platts, and McGraw Hill Construction.
With a career at MHFI, you'll provide essential intelligence every day to all parts of the world.
The position reports on the trading activity in Grains and broader agricultural markets. The role is key to gathering pricing information and market intelligence, and then forming that information into price assessments and published market commentaries, news updates and in-depth analysis stories. The role covers various subjects including supply and demand; infrastructure issues; transportation, regulation, etc and the impact of those issues on markets.
Gathers commodity price information and produce price assessments/indexes:
• Follows price trends and report on those trends throughout the trading day
• Verifies transactions or data information submissions
• Develops price assessments/indexes, applying proprietary methodologies
• Identifies pricing methodology issues in specific area of market coverage
• Continually scans the market for changes that might impact trading terms and practices
Reports/writes daily news, commentary and analysis/features stories:
• Reports on a wide variety of issues that impact commodity markets including, price trends, infrastructure issues; supply-demand trends and issues; regulatory issues
• Produces daily news stories that are well-written, clean copy that conforms to AP and Platts house style
• Identifies news/information and its relevance to readership
• Produces daily commentaries that pair with price assessments
• Produces in-depth analytical/enterprise articles
Develops, expands and maintains sources and contacts relevant to the market area of coverage:
• Develops and maintains an extensive source list with key contact information and background info
• Maintains frequent source contact via phone; IM and in-person meetings
• Diversifies source base to enhance and balance content
Focus on quality of assessments, commentary and editorial practices:
• Reviews assessments and formulas used for producing price assessments to validate
• Ensures copy and commentary is accurate, and aligns with pricing trends
• Achieves annual Data Quality Initiative targets
• Maintains internal documentation including: market beat how-to; source lists and reporting notes
• Adheres to relevant editorial standards and COBE that govern market reporting practices
• Provides support to other staff: reviewing and editing commentaries, stories and price tables; and training on how to back up a market
- BA degree in journalism or business preferred with approximately 4 years of reporting/writing/analytical experience; or a graduate degree in journalism, business, economics or finance; with 2 years of reporting/writing/analytical work experience.
- Well-rounded communication skills that implement good listening techniques, clear, concise writing style; and good verbal skills. The ability to communicate across a wide range of groups and personalities internally and externally. Ability to provide a detailed and accurate review of peers work showing good judgment and ability to express, both positive and negative comments. Support changes to methodology/approach.
- Works well in a team environment, focusing on collaboration and adapting to the needs of a diverse team.
- Displays good numeracy including ability to conceptualize proportional relationships; understand the basic principles of algebra and statistics; as well as a basic understanding of how to apply basic math functions in Excel. A basic understanding of economics principles is also required.
- Adept at managing multiple tasks and adhering to regular deadlines. Able to prioritize quickly and to readjust priorities throughout the day.
- Displays good problem-solving and critical thinking capabilities. Serves as a subject matter expert on more than one adjacent market.
- Has basic knowledge of Microsoft Excel ; Microsoft Office suite (Word, Powerpoint, Outlook…); and basic keyboarding skills (both speed and accuracy)
- Ability to build trust, respect and rapport and is adept at serving as a coach to peers or working as a peer advisor within the organization.
- Fluent Portuguese/Spanish skills highly preferred
About Platts and McGraw Hill Financial
At Platts, the premier source of commodities intelligence, the content you generate and the relationships you build are essential to the energy, petrochemicals, metals and agricultural markets.
- Our real-time news, pricing, analytical services and conferences help markets operate with transparency and efficiency.
- Be part of a globally diverse workforce with 20 offices spanning five continents.
- Get the best of both worlds: a nimble, highly specialized company, and a business casual culture with the benefits and backing of McGraw Hill Financial.
McGraw Hill Financial includes Standard & Poor’s Ratings Services, S&P Capital IQ, S&P Dow Jones Indices, J.D. Power, Platts, and McGraw Hill Construction. Together, we’re the foremost providers of essential intelligence for the capital and commodities markets.
Learn more at www.mhfi.com/careers
McGraw Hill Financial is an equal opportunity employer. Only electronic job submissions will be considered for employment. For special accommodation due to disability, please email webmaster -at- mcgraw-hill.com and your request will be forwarded to the appropriate individual.